Hillview School is a district site for a pre-schoolage Early Education program and for a division II Literacy program. Transporation to the school for children in these programs is often provided. There is an annual fee for door to door service for qualified Literacy students which is heavily subsidized.
Early Education: The cost of transporting a child to and from an Early Education Program site is covered by the child's educational grant if they are approved for PUF funding. Once a child is accepted into the Program the parents have the opportunity for their child to be bussed to and from school. If bussing is not a viable method of transportation for the child, the parent has the option to provide their own transportation but these costs will not be covered under the grant. If this is not a possibility please speak with Administration as soon as possible.
Transportation arranged through Edmonton Public Schools consists of small bus service. The bus will pick up and drop off the child at home, the babysitter or day-care. Your child must reside within our transportation zone for us to be able to provide this service with Edmonton Public Schools. If you are not sure if your residence is within our boundaries please contact us at school. We also require that parents sign the necessary transportation forms. Heather Carter, the Administrative Assistant at the school will have the necessary forms.
Please read the following information carefully; it may help to avoid any unnecessary problems with transportation.
Parents of children new to the Early Education Program will receive confirmation of transportation prior to the first day of school. Pick up and drop off times may not be arranged until one or two days prior to the first day of school.
- The driver will give you an approximate time for pick up and drop off of your child. It is the parent's responsibility to escort their child to and from the bus. The driver will give you assistance, if needed, with loading and unloading your child. You are to help the driver with the buckling in of your child.
- Please inform the school and driver in advance if a person outside the immediate family is meeting the bus.
- Integrated car seats are provided for all children. These are very similar to strapping you would find in car seats and therefore very safe. The transportation company does not provide alternative seating.
- Drivers are authorized to drive children only. Parents wishing to visit the school must make their own arrangements.
- In the event that your child will not be attending on a given day please contact Golden Arrow Bus Lines at 780.447.1538.
- Please notify the school and bus company of any foreseeable changes (pick-up, drop-off, address, phone, etc.) or concerns.
- Changes can be made 2 times per year. Five days notice for changes is required.
The Alberta Safety Transportation Division has provided information regarding the safe transportation of young children:
- By Alberta law, all children under the age of six years must wear appropriate safety restraints while being transported in a vehicle. (This law does not pertain to vehicles used for school transportation; however the Early Education Program mandates safety restraint use for any company transporting Early Education Program children.)
- When the children go on buses for field trips they do not use safety restraints as they are not available on the buses used for this purpose. There are many adults who accompany the children that assist for their safety.